Every Sunday morning, between 6 and 10am, the famous fish market of St. Pauli takes place, directly on the Elbe embankment, on a broad cobblestone promenade with old lampposts lined by clinker houses. Goods of all sorts are being sold within this incredible maze of stands and stalls, the early morning buzz of the harbour in the background. Noisy vendors offer fruit, plants and eels to passers-by. Barges with fresh fish are towed to a pontoon further away. In 1989, the Minerva fountain, made of sandstone, which had stood in the middle of the fish market from 1742 until the beginning of the Second World War, was put back. The picture of a woman on the fountain was designed by Hans Kock replacing the Minerva that used to be there.
Große Elbstraße 47