Near the quays where the ferries dock, the "Landungsbrücken", stands the building housing the entrance to the old tunnel which runs underneath the river Elbe. It was opened in 1911. The classicist style of the brown sandstone square building, with its cupola and tall windows, is reminiscent of the Pantheon in Rome. A much simpler version stands at the other end of the tunnel on island of Steinwerder where the docks are.Escalators, stairs and elevators (for vehicles) descend to two parallel-running tunnels which are 410 metres long. Hundreds of light bulbs on both sides are reflected in the tunnels" tiled walls decorated with maritime motifs.
Shooting only Mo thru Fri after 8pm until about 5am. Saturdays after 4.30pm and Sundays all day. Tunnel is closed for cars only during these hours. Pedestrians/cyclists have access at all times.
Elevators, stairs and both roads inside the tunnel.
Once harbour authority gave approval, details have to be discussed with operations manager. Connection to the mains in the engine room, 63A.